Jeniffer Roberts is a partner in the Government Contracts practice in Dentons' Washington, DC, office. Jeniffer advises C-suite and other top executives at Fortune 500 companies in the biotechnology/health care, global management consulting, technology and outsourcing industries on matters pertaining to ethics and compliance, litigation, investigations, M&A and corporate and business transactions. She has a multidisciplinary practice, including extensive experience designing and enhancing compliance and ethics programs for new government contractors as well as established government contractors.
Jeniffer's experience as a former senior in-house counsel for two large public companies allows her to bring an informed perspective when advising clients. Business leaders benefit from her keen ability to obtain consensus, as well as to design programs and create controls that allow their businesses operate effectively within the myriad of regulatory restrictions.
Jeniffer's approach is to partner with clients to identify, manage and reduce risk to their companies. These efforts include advising on the design of and enhancements to global ethics and compliance programs, and providing advice on a variety of critical compliance issues, among them procurement fraud, suspension and debarment regimes, conflicts of interest, revolving door, data protection and privacy, the Service Contract Act (SCA), cost compliance and mandatory disclosure and other government reporting obligations. She also counsels companies on exports controls compliance and foreign ownership, control or influence (FOCI) mitigation matters. For small businesses and other companies new to the government contracting sector, Jeniffer helps navigate the complex regulatory regime associated with doing business with the government, including handling size status disputes and providing general advice and counseling.
- Drafting and implementing government contracts policies and procedures for new government contractors as well as for established major government contractors.
- Developing and delivering training to corporate legal and business teams on a wide range of compliance and ethics topics, including gifts, gratuities & bribes, the SCA, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA), conflicts of interest, labor charging, anticorruption, competition law, procurement integrity, export control, social media, data privacy and mandatory disclosure rules.
- Conducting full-scope (as well as targeted) risk assessments and compliance reviews. This includes analyses of how the existing compliance framework would measure against the requirements of the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) and the US Federal Sentencing Guidelines standards of an effective compliance program.
- Designing, implementing and monitoring controls to track compliance with a full spectrum of legal and regulatory requirements, including anticorruption, external monitoring, gifts/entertainment to public officials, the use of third-party intermediaries (such as business development agents, subcontractors and independent consultants), cost compliance, the FAR Mandatory Disclosure Rule, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act and various other compliance and reporting obligations.
- Conducting due diligence reviews and leading post-merger integration efforts for commercial companies and government contractors for both the buyer side (including a more than US$250 million acquisition) and the seller side (including a more than US$15 billion sale).
- Reviewing and advising on complex, high-profile contracts for major government contractors. Negotiating complex provisions, such as most favored customer clauses, data rights clauses, licensing and special security contract clauses, as well as drafting organizational conflict of interest mitigation plans.
- Conducting internal investigations for Fortune 500 companies on a variety of topics, including those related to employment/HR matters; anticorruption; procurement integrity; anti-competitive behavior; fraud, waste and abuse allegations; potential significant overpayments; and contract compliance matters.
- "Key Considerations for Establishing an Effective Ethics and Compliance Program," BNA Insights, Bloomberg BNA Federal Contracts Report, June 9, 2016
- Silicon Valley Institute on Government and Technology, "Expanding Presence in Silicon Valley: DHS Office Pushing for Deeper Access to Technology," Panelist, Menlo Park, CA., June 9, 2016
- Co-Author, “Proposed rule defines scope of 'recruitment fees' prohibited by FAR policy on combating human trafficking,” May 13, 2016
- Co-Author, "Compliance Considerations for Technology Companies Contemplating Contracting with the U.S. Government," Briefing Papers, Issue 16-4, Thomson Reuters, March 2016
Activities and Affiliations
- Panelist, "Expanding Presence in Silicon Valley: DHS Office Pushing for Deeper Access to Technology," Dentons Silicon Valley Institute on Government and Technology, June 9, 2016
- Presenter, “The Service Contract Act and its Application to Multiple Award Schedule Contracting" webinar, The Coalition for Government Procurement, January 21, 2016
- Panelist, "Managing Third Party Risk," Women Influence & Power in the Law Conference, Washington, DC, October 29, 2015
- Panelist, "Current Opportunities and Risks in Selling to the Government," Dentons In-House Counsel CLE Program, October 23, 2015
- Panelist, “Staying a Step Ahead: Strategies for Responding to Evolving Enterprise Risks,” Women, Influence & Power in the Law Conference, Washington, DC, September 18, 2014
- Moderator and panelist, “Making Lemonade Out of Lemons: Using Today’s Regulatory Environment to Improve Your Compliance Program,” Association of Corporate Counsel, Washington Metropolitan Area (WMACCA) Conference, Washington, DC, November 3, 2011
- Member, Law360 2016 Government Contracts editorial advisory board
- Pro bono General Counsel, FAIR Girls (non-profit organization whose mission is to prevent the exploitation of girls world-wide through empowerment and education)
- Member, British American Business Association (BABA), Defense and Transportation Security (DATS) Committee