John G. Horan is in the Firm's government contracts, litigation, and white-collar criminal defense practice groups. Mr. Horan is a seasoned trial lawyer and litigator who has been lead counsel in over thirty jury trials and hundreds of criminal, civil, administrative and arbitration hearings. He has also presented oral arguments on eight appeals before Federal and the District of Columbia Court of Appeals. Mr. Horan focuses his practice on representing companies and individuals in litigation with the government, internal investigations of contract, regulatory, civil, and criminal violations, and counseling to ensure compliance with contractual, regulatory, civil and criminal requirements.
His criminal defense practice is focused on the representation of companies and employees in highly regulated industries under investigation or indictment for criminal offenses arising out of regulatory violations. He has represented contractors and employees before both federal and state grand juries and in criminal proceedings in federal and state courts. He has successfully defended companies and employees accused of crimes under the False Claims Act, False Statements Act, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, export control, import, bribery, gratuities, conflict of interest, and Federal election laws.
Mr. Horan has litigated contract and fraud cases against the government, prime contractors, and subcontractors before the Board of Contract Appeals, the United States Court of Federal Claims, federal and state courts, and in arbitration proceedings. He has represented contractors protesting and defending the award of contracts before the United States Court of Federal claims, the Government Accountability Office, Federal agencies, and state forums. Mr. Horan has also represented clients responding to suspension and debarment proceedings brought by federal and state agencies.
Mr. Horan's vast experience in representing individuals and companies in litigation against the government provides valuable perspective on effective programs and procedures for compliance with requirements in solicitations, contracts, regulations and civil and criminal statutes applicable to government contracts. He has extensive experience in establishing corporate compliance programs, conducting internal investigations, and disclosing contractual, regulatory, civil fraud, and criminal violations to the government. He has drafted and reviewed corporate compliance programs for numerous government contractors and other businesses, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to emerging businesses. He has conducted internal investigations of contract compliance, fraud, government security violations, employee kickback schemes, theft of corporate and government property, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations, organizational conflicts of interest, and violations of import and export laws. He also has assisted clients in the investigation, preparation and negotiation of claims before federal and state agencies. Mr. Horan has counseled clients on all aspects of federal, state and local government procurement and grant law.
Mr. Horan currently serves as an American Bar Association Associate Editor of the Public Contract Law Journal, the ABA's scholarly journal for the examination of government contracting legal issues, and is a member of the Law360 Government Contracts Editorial Advisory Board. He also authors a monthly column, Legal Forum, in Contract Management magazine, the flagship publication of the National Contract Management Association ("NCMA"), a national professional society of government and commercial contract managers and procurement professionals. Mr. Horan is an adjunct professor for Legal Aspects of Government Contracting, a required course of Catholic University's Federal Acquisition and Contract Management Master's Degree program.
He has written over 60 articles and provided numerous training seminars on compliance, fraud and white collar crime issues, including training on responding to government audits as part of the Multiple Award Schedule Basic Training presented by the Coalition for Government Procurement, a national trade association of government contractors. Mr. Horan has been quoted in International Business Times, FederalTimes.com, Government Executive.com, Washington Business Journal, among other on-line and print publications, on government contracts issues and regularly appears on Off the Shelf, the Coalition's radio program on Federal News Radio.
In addition to his practice with the firm, Mr. Horan currently serves as General Counsel and an ex officio Board member to NCMA. As General Counsel, Mr. Horan represented NCMA as a member of the Cooperative Audit Resolution Work Group of the Partnership for Intergovernmental Management and Accountability within the Association of Government Accountants. The Work Group developed a Guide to Improving Program Performance Through Cooperative Audit Resolution and Oversight Initiative for use by the government in managing American Recovery and Reinvestment Act funds. The Initiative received a Special Act Award for Excellence from the Council of Inspectors General on Integrity and Efficiency.
Mr. Horan is a member of the ABA's Criminal Justice Section, as well as Co-Chair of the Commercial Product and Services Committee, and Vice Chair of the Health Care Contracting and Procurement Fraud Committees, of the ABA's Public Contracting Law Section.
Mr. Horan is a former Assistant US Attorney for the District of Columbia, where he supervised criminal investigations by local and federal law enforcement authorities. He also represented the United States in numerous jury trials, hearings and appellate arguments in the District of Columbia and Federal courts.
- Monthly Column in NCMA’s Contract Management Magazine
- "Redux-DoD again proposes new rule on commercial item procurement," Co-author, Dentons US Client Alert, August 11, 2016
- Silicon Valley Institute on Government and Technology, "The Government and IoT: Securely Knitting Together a Leviathan of Information," Panelist, Dentons US, Menlo Park, CA, June 9, 2016
- "Government contractor industry brief urges Supreme Court to enforce strict standards for filing False Claims Act qui tam suits," Co-author, Dentons US Client Alert, October 21, 2015
- "When Gov't Is Compelled To File Complaint In ASBCA Appeal," Law360, February 19, 2015
- State False Claims Acts: A Practitioner’s Guide to the False Claims Laws of the Various States, 79 (Michigan) and 89 (Mississippi), Brad Leneis, et al, eds., American Bar Association, 2014
- “DAPA Holders are Caught in the Middle of a Disagreement between the VA and DLA over the Application of the IFF to DAPA Sales,” Friday Flash, Coalition for Government Procurement Newsletter, July 11, 2014
- “D.C. Circuit Upholds the Attorney-Client Privilege for Corporate Internal Investigations,” Friday Flash, Coalition for Government Procurement Newsletter, July 11, 2014
- "Compliance Lessons from the VA Office of Inspector General," Friday Flash, Coalition for Government Procurement Newsletter, March 21, 2014
- "Government Contract Procurement Procedures and Common Mistakes," in Navigating Government Procurement, Aspatore, 2008
- “The Expanding FAR Ethics Rule,” Off The Shelf, Coalition for Government Procurement Newsletter, June/July 2008
- “Government Auditors as Whistle-Blowers: Preparation for Government Audits,” Andrews Litigation Reporter, December 18, 2006
- "Government Schedule Contracting," ACC InfoPAK, September 2006
- The Default Clause,” Default Termination, Federal Publications, 1991
- “Security Requirements in International Transactions,” 87-13 Briefing Papers, Federal Publications, December 1987
Activities and Affiliations
- Presenter, "So You Chose to Be a Government Contractor: An Assessment of Recent Supreme Court and Other Decisions Impacting Your Business," (DHG Government Contracting Webinar), August 10, 2016
- Presenter, "New Developments in Contract Compliance and Fraud Enforcement," (Federal Publication Seminars), October 22-23, 2014
- Presenter, "GSA and VA Schedule Contracting for In-House Counsel," (The Coalition for Government Procurement), September 17, 2014, June 27, 2013, December 5, 2012
- Presenter, "Compliance (and Avoiding the False Claims Act) under GSA and VA Schedules," (NCMA World Congress), July 28, 2014
- Presenter, "MAS Audits - How to Prepare and What They Mean in the Current Market," MAS Basic Training (The Coalition for Government Procurement), June 26, 2014, December 5, 2013, February 14, 2013, November 22, 2012, June 14, 2012, July 13, 2011, July 14, 2010, March 23, 2010, February 11, 2009, July 23, 2008
- Presenter, "Government contract law -- news and trends," Federal News Radio, March 18, 2014.
- Presenter, "Year in Review (Key Developments in False Claims Act Litigation)," Off the Shelf, (Federal News Radio), February 18, 2014
- Presenter, "Responding to Criminal Investigations," Airline Symposium, (McKenna Long & Aldridge), February 5, 2014
- Presenter, "New Developments in Contract Compliance and Fraud Enforcement," (Federal Publications Seminar), October 24, 2013, October 24, 2012, October 26, 2011, October 27, 2010
- Presenter, "Responding to Search Warrants and Corporate Investigations," Manufacturers/MRO Symposium (McKenna Long & Aldridge), July 24, 2013
- Presenter, "The Changing World of Small Business Contracting," (NCMA World Congress), July 24, 2013, July 29, 2012, July 10, 2011
- Presenter, "Ethics Training," Continuing the Dialogue, GSA Business Roundtable, (The Coalition for Government Procurement), May 22, 2013
- Presenter, "GAO Bid Protests," Off the Shelf, (Federal News Radio), May 7, 2013
- "Legal Corner: Recurring Issues, New Challenges, and Looking Ahead," 2012 Fall Training Conference, (The Coalition for Government Procurement), October 25, 2012
- Presenter, "GSA MAS Program and the Civil False Claims Act," (The Coalition for Government Procurement), April 18, 2012
- Presenter, "Recent Regulatory Changes (Small Business Contracting)," Off the Shelf, (Federal News Radio), January 31, 2012 Presenter
- "The Changing World of Small Business Contracting," (Public Contracting Institute), November 16, 2011
- Presenter, "How are Contractors Affected by the Civil False Claims Act?," Off the Shelf, (Federal News Radio), April 12, 2011
- Presenter, "New Developments in Contract Compliance," (Federal Publications Seminar), October 27, 2010
- Presenter, “GAO Bid Protests for Contractor Personnel,” (NCMA World Congress), July 20, 2010
- Presenter, "Looking Ahead: Government Procurement Contracting Updates From the Obama Administration," (National Contract Management Association-Huntsville), March 10, 2010
- Presenter, "The Changing Role of the Contracting Officer in Contract Negotiation, Administration and Dispute Resolution," (Small Agency Council Procurement Committee), November 18, 2009
- Presenter, "The Proposed Tariff Shift Regulation and Trade Agreements Act Requirements," (Washington Management Group), October 14, 2009
- Panelist, "Stimulus Package Creates Opportunities...But Beware of the Strings Attached," (TechAmerica), July 17, 2009
- Panelist, "Corporate Compliance with Campaign Finance, Contracting, Lobbying & Ethics Laws," (BNA & American League of Lobbyists), May 18, 2009
- Presenter, "The Final FAR Ethics Rule," Premier Member Luncheon, (The Coalition for Government Procurement), December 10, 2008
- Presenter, “The Proposed Tariff Shift Regulation and Trade Agreements Act Requirements,” The Trade Agreements Act…What’s Next? (Washington Management Group), November 5, 2008
- Presenter, “Preventing the Devastation of a False Claims Act,” Lorman teleconference, October 22, 2008
- Presenter, “High-Risk Government Contracts Issues,” West’s “mini” Government Contract Seminar, October 10, 2008
- Presenter, “Internal Audits,” Premier Member Luncheon, (The Coalition for Government Procurement), September 26, 2008
- Moderator, “Using General Services Administration Schedule Contracts to Sell to the Federal Government”, ACC InfoPAK Webinar, February 5, 2008
- Presenter, “Legal Update: Contract Compliance, Recent Audit Trends & More,” Coalition For Government Procurement Fall Conference - The Current State of GSA and VA Acquisition, November 7, 2007
- Presenter, “Preventing an Audit from Turning into a Full-Fledged Investigation,” Government Contracts Litigation & Investigations (American Conference Institute), October 23-25, 2007
- Panelist, “Anti-Terrorism and the New Rule of ‘Know Your Customer’,” 25th Anniversary Institute for Corporate Counsel (USC Gould School of Law and Los Angeles County Bar Association Corporate Law Departments Section), December 5, 2006
- Panelist, "Government Contracting in a “New” Era: Flexibilities, Constraints and Realities," 12th Annual Federal Procurement Institute (American Bar Association, Section of Public Contract Law), March 2-3, 2006
- Law360 Government Contracts Editorial Advisory Board