Mark G. Budwig has practiced exclusively in the areas of construction law and litigation for more than 25 years. He has represented design professionals, contractors, subcontractors and owners in a wide variety of actions, ranging from simple lien foreclosures to multi-million dollar construction and engineering extra work claims arising from hotels, pipelines, tunnels, highways, canals, convention centers and other large public works projects.
Originally trained and licensed as a professional civil engineer, Mr. Budwig began his career as a field engineer on a multi-million dollar project for a national general contractor. He later worked with Pacific Gas & Electric, one of California's largest utilities, as a civil design engineer. Because of this unique background, Mr. Budwig works effectively with architects, engineers, geologists, material testers, schedulers, construction managers and construction cost accountants.
He has handled virtually every type of design and construction defect case, including earth movement, surface and subsurface water intrusion, and structural defects.
Mr. Budwig holds both a BS in Civil Engineering from the University of Colorado and an MS in Construction Management from Stanford University, as well as a JD from the University of California.
San Diego Daily Transcript has named Mr. Budwig a "Top Attorney" from 2009 to 2013 in construction litigation. He has also been recognized as a Southern California Super Lawyer from 2007 to 2014.
Activities and Affiliations
- “Construction Law Update: Cases and Statutes,” San Diego County Bar Association, August 12, 2014.
- "Mechanic's Lien and Stop Payment Notices," San Diego AGC Chapter, May 13, 2014.
- “Construction Law Update: Recent Cases and Legislation,” San Diego CMAA Chapter, February 13, 2014.
- “Construction Law Basics: Part III: Mediation, Arbitration or Trial,” San Diego CMAA Chapter, September 12, 2013.
- “Construction Law and Recent Developments Affecting Your Construction Business,” San Diego AGC Chapter, August 21, 2013.
- “Construction Law Basics: Part II: Bid Protests: Design Defects: Important Contract Terms,” San Diego CMAA Chapter, May 15, 2013.
- “Construction Law Basics: Part I,” San Diego CMAA Chapter, April 11, 2013.
- "Project Risk Management Seminar," San Diego CMAA Chapter, March 22, 2013.
- "Construction Law Update, New Cases/Statutes from 2012," San Diego CMAA Chapter, January 24, 2013.
- "Public Construction Projects, How to Get It Right," Association of California Water Agencies, December 5, 2012.
- Construction Management Association of America (CMAA), San Diego Chapter, Former Board of Directors
- San Diego County Bar Association-Construction Law Section
- Associated General Contractors of America